This school year, embrace a new journey of learning and growth alongside your children! While you send them off onto the buses and into their new classrooms, our Matchmakers say it’s the perfect time to turn to a new chapter in your dating life and explore what is out there! Many single parents share that they have little free time during the summer, but that all seems to change each fall when the kids go back to school and routines become more consistent. So here’s our list of back-to-school dating tips for single parents.
- Remember that you are allowed to date
- Don’t feel guilty about dating. You work hard — it’s okay to enjoy some free time! Yes, it will be different to date than it was when you didn’t have kids. Realize that you are entitled to have a life. Not dating out of guilt gets you nowhere but resentful. Don’t wait until your kids are ’grown up’ - If the thought of dating makes you excited again, you are ready to get yourself out there!
- Change your ringtone
- If this back-to-school season is the first time you’re dating as a single parent, set yourself up for success by ensuring your “kid calls” are covered while you start meeting people. Don’t allow every text, email, or alert to throw you off. When meeting someone new or on a first date, being present is a must. Therefore, preparing your phone ahead of time is a game changer so you aren’t looking at your phone every time it buzzes. One trick is to set a special ringtone for the numbers of your kids or any potential call regarding your child.
- It’s Just Lunch!
- Dating can be a big time investment for some, but with It’s Just Lunch, you won’t be staying up after tucking the kids in bed swiping on every profile that pops up on your screen! Our Matchmakers do all the work, so all you have to do is show up and have fun!
- Be yourself
- Remember that your match is there to get to know you, not hear all about your kids. Yes, you should mention or share a bit, but remember to focus on getting to know one another. And seeing there are other facets of you than just the parent in you. Show up as your whole self.
- Take one step at a time
- With the kids back in school, now is the time to focus on you. Don’t overthink things, you have the opportunity to figure out how a relationship progresses. Don’t obsess when and how to bring your kids into the mix because there isn’t one right time. Your gut will lead you to what is right for both you, your kids, and someone who becomes special in your life. In the beginning focus on finding someone you enjoy being with, the rest will fall into place when the time is right.
Dating can oscillate between a dream and a headache. The good news: we’re here to help you step back in the dating world with confidence while you’re learning, growing, and thriving together in a new school year.
Let’s face it: there’s no shortage of challenges that singles face when it comes to the dating scene.
This school year, embrace a new journey of learning and growth alongside your children!
Sun-kissed days of summer are here, and the air is filled with the promise of new beginnings - and special connections!